Thursday 21 December 2006

The cat sat on the mat

This week I have tried my hardest to improve my very shoddy thai. I decided that if I am going to stay here I really should be able to do more than direct taxis and order food. So after 4 days at Pink Chilli language school I feel that I have come on.

I am proud to announce that I can now say these useful phrases:
1. The cat sat on the mat
2. I am crazy.
3. The antarctic is getting smaller because the world is getting hotter!

However, I have also developed a Geoff like habit of saying 'Breast' as a substitute for many words - I'm not sure why but it just slips out - and have to make long convoluted sentences to avoid words that have the 'ngya' sound in it - much safer for everyone involved I promise you.

Gonna keep up the lessons for a little longer I think. I'm yet to see what difference it makes in practice as I'm not sure the general thai population will have the same patience with me as my teacher did. We'll see......

No comments: