Friday, 28 December 2007

Langkawi Life

Helen and Kate arrived as soon as school ended and we caught up with Tom and Emma in Langkawi. I clearly should have asked our resort to warn all the bars and restaurants that we were arriving as disaster struck on the first night! The first bar ran out of Corona, the second ran out of wine, and the third ran out of vodka and gin. They clearly weren't prepared for the Sharman invasion. Needless to say we were a tad shocked.
The Beach Garden Resort was everything we could have wanted. Fantastic (included) breakfast, cute rooms and comfy, shaded loungers with a great view of the beach. Our time was spent reading, swimming, swimming and reading with the occasional stop for yet another plate of chicken satay and a leisurely wander down the beach. Not a bad way to unwind after a long term.
We did manage to venture from our beach one day and hired a car to take us round the island. We admired the view from the top of the highest peak, avoided the monkeys lining the road and enjoyed the virtually deserted beach at Tanjung Rhu.

Of course we also sampled as many delicious dishes as we could manage. Gorgeous fish, tasty curries and of course a fabulous meal at The Lighthouse.

Strangely our evenings seemed to gravitate towards Little Leilas, an entertaining beach bar. I'm not sure whether to believe the garbage that came out of Mr G's (our host) mouth but he was very interesting company, although I won't be taking up his offer of starting a school out the back of the bar. The bar staff were in varying states of inebriation, unable to remember orders or indeed successfully clear a table without all the empties falling on the sand. When we asked if they had vodka and lime one particularly sozzled guy plonked himself down besides us, announced "Don't ask me, I'm too f***ing wasted" then rested his head on the table and had a quick kip. The live music was also slightly suspect. The french busker approached our table and asked for a request. Anything by Jack Johnson was our reply. What came out of his mouth was unrecognisable, a low growl of unpronounced lyrics and confused guitar playing. We had some difficulty keeping a straight face - it has to be the longest 2 minutes ever!
After nearly a week of relaxation the Sharmans headed off to Lipe - but that is another story. And Tom and Emma headed to the Cameron Highlands where the very romantic Tom popped the question. Congratulations guys!

No comments: