Saturday 24 March 2007

Fair Trade

Have just had a bit of a shop-a-holic day! Finally went to the Fairtrade Craft fair at the ambassador and have to say thank god I didn't find it when I first got here. It is fab and I love the fact that there is no middlemen - all the profits go direct to the workers. I have some very tasty coffee (and it even comes in a pink bag - how perfect!), a basket made out of recycled newspapers and a silver necklace made by the Karen. Luckily the voice of reason which very occasionally pops into my head reminded me that large purchases are probably not a good idea when I will just have to ship it to KL in 4 months time.

There ws some amazing items for sale. Gorgeous pashminas and throws, bamboo plates/bowls/etc, lamps, silver, candles etc. Everything is good quality and reasonably priced. However, there were a couple of things that stood out from others.

While perusing a stall I noticed that the woman behind it was knitting. There was no wool or thread. She was knitting with a ripped up supermarket plastic bag to make a new one. Amazing. And remarkably strong! This was the same stall where I got my recycled newspaper basket - I love creative and practical recycling!

There was also another stall selling cards and paintings created by autistic hill-tribe children. All the proceeds from the sales go to supporting them and their families.

So if you haven't been to this craft fair yet then get yourself along. Every month at the Ambassador hotel.

1 comment:

Molange said...

Yeah it was great huh!? Check out details on the next sale at www.thaicraft.org