Saturday 27 January 2007

Wreckage

It always surprises me that I do not see more accidents on the road here in gridlocked Bangkok. When the traffic is rubbish there is no end of weaving and lane changing without the use of indicators or seemingly mirrors. When the roads are clear no speed limit seems to apply AND there is no end of weaving and lane changing without the use of indicators or mirrors. In addition seatbelts are rarely found and motorcycle helmets are rarely worn – apart from as a natty accessories slung over the arm.

However, when you do see a crash it is horrific and it would be a miracle if anyone could walk out of it alive. But instead of removing the wreckage these mangled cars sit by the road for weeks after the actual event. I don’t know if they are left as a reminder to drive more carefully or to wear your seatbelt or maybe there are not the resources to remove them quickly but the one I have passed every day this term sends a shiver down my spine as I pass it. It is certainly a deterrent not to ride too frequently on the motorbike taxis.

No comments: